Thursday, November 13, 2008

Saint Augustine


Today we rented a car from Enterprise using my AARP card. Feeling somewhat antique.


Anyway, we toured the lighthouse where I walked up to the top. It was particularly refreshing to see that a sense of Freedom still exists in the USA. If anyone has been to a national monument lately, they have experienced long lines induced by "puff tests" where they blow air around you looking for explosives. You know what I am talking about if you have been to the Statue of Liberty.

It was great to get to the top of a landmark and look out at the surrounding area.


We also visited the Lightener Museum where we were able to take in the collection the man pulled together. It was an impressive collection from around the world worth seeing.


And then there was lunch at the Conch House. They have these tables up on poles that offer a good view. Sort of unstable but fun and the food was very good. If you click on the photo you will see that they carved faces on all of the poles supporting the deck. This was an unexpected treat that reminded me of gargoiles that were carved in stone at some cathedrals. Ok, it's a stretch but all of the faces are different here as well, and they were fun to look at.
St. Augustine is certainly worth a look if you are in the area, and we have yet to hit all of the old stuff in town.


I've uploaded some additional photos to the bucket.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie and Dan - I'm so glad to see you guys know how to enjoy retirement! This is Kathy Herity Bennett - a long lost friend...what can I say a challenging 10 yrs! But I do hope to reconnect... my personal email is kbennett1a@aol.com... maybe you'd consider a stop in Houston on your tour - be happy to drive down and meet up with your and of course you're welcome to stay with me if you'd like to see Austin - about 3hrs from coast. Hope to hear from you and you had another great day!