Saturday, November 29, 2008

Connectivity... Verizon.... Skype to the rescue!


Looking at the photo you might wonder if Freedom ever had it so good, but to be honest with you neither did we.
Anyway, I had spoken with Verizon about the Bahamas and whether or not our cell phone would work. They said yes.
They lied.
They also told me I could have DSL at our condo, and lied, and then I found out our neighbor has it!! They are just about done for us...
So a dock mate here in West End reminded me about Skype. It's great. I bought a month subscription and I can call anywhere in the US as long as I have an internet connection.
If you want to call us though, down load skype and send me some mail with your skype id. I can send you the skype id I am using and you can send us yours. I believe skype voip is free as long as you don't call a land line. It was simple to set up and it worked the first time. Unbelievable stuff!! The only requirement to calling a skype user is the user has to be on line (skype started), and so do you.
Given how much a cell phone would have cost this is a fantastic and practical alternative.
Use our gmail account to send the id, please don't post it in this blog as a comment.

1 comment:

pbardunias said...

LOL - even in paradise something has to go wrong, eh???

Oh well, enjoy your odyssey through some of North America's most beautiful waters. Meanwhile, we're spending one more day in FL and heading back to the chilly Northeast. You can bet that I'll be pretty jealous of you guys for a few months!!!

Have a safe trip!!!