Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Savannah and Sunbury Ga. the hard way

 So we traveled down to the Savannah area and wound up at Sail Harbor Marina on Turner Creek. This was a great two night stop because we got to visit with Michele and catch up a bit. While there is not much around the marina within a short walk, there is a Publix that can be reached by dink and a couple of other marinas where you can tie up so as to access the store. The water was calm the power was good and so were the people.
 Since we were going to be here a couple of days while waiting for the gang to show up I took the time to clean up the dink. This had been hanging from the davit on the transom under a pecan tree. The entire topside of the dink was a light tan color that had to go. Since I had not cleaned the bottom of the dink in maybe two years, I dropped it into the water and used the davit to lift the engine off. Then I hauled the dink out of the water and went to work. About 8 hours later the dink looks fine with a fresh coat of wax on the bottom and clean tubes.
 After a great dinner with Michele and Tim out on Tybee Island the next day we set off for Walburg creek where we intended to anchor out for the night. Just north of St. Catherine Sound I did a bilge check and found water under the starboard engine. After swapping out an impeller on the run we found that pump had munched a bearing seal and it was time for a new pump assembly. Given that we turned North up to Sunbury and here we are waiting on the pump which hopefully shows up tomorrow.
 I could have gotten a slightly better price if I had the net working when we ordered it but in the interest of moving forward I went with Detroit instead of deferring until the net was up. That happened a little while ago. It turned out the local wireless here had the same IP addresses assigned that I did on the AIR802 on the radar arch so I changed them and now (ya think?) we have access. It was a gamble that paid off. Last night we could use Skype but we could not hit pages via url's. Suspecting that Skype did not need a name server I used ipconfig and saw the gateway was 192.168.0.1 and that was smack in the middle of my DHCP range. So I moved on.

 The Sunbury Crab Co. http://www.sunburycrabco.com/ has a great dock and we have good power so the stay will be as pleasant as it can be. The owner was gracious to bring me into her house yesterday to try the net there, and since that was a wash she even offered to let me use her dad's suburban as long as we did not drive to fast. Everyone around here was trying to dig up a pump to help us out and we thank them!

No comments: