Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dan vs. Tohatsu Take Three

 We went out yesterday looking for conch and lobster. Since I found a six foot sling while walking along the beach the other day, I had to try. I found it while walking in about two feet of water that had a rocky bottom. It was wedged into a tidal pool and all gummed up with sand and some sort of brown algae. Once cleaned up the spear looks great and the tips spread out again.
 With dive suit, goggles and look bucket off we went for Johnny's Cay. We looked around quite a bit and didn't see anything. So we set off on our ride back to Hopetown which was just about two miles back to the marina. We revved up the engine and away we went for about 25 yards. Pop poof it went and it died.
 I opened up the bonnet and there was gas everywhere. In retrospect I think the plate on top of the carb loosened up allowing gas to migrate into air passages with openings to the outside of the carb. Thinking I had it under control I restarted and it went pop and caught fire.
 Yes, the dink was on fire and we were a mile from shore. No one else around. So I did the unthinkable and sprayed the engine with sea water. Not the best idea for a gas fire but it worked. At this point given the tide was coming in and the wind was light we elected to row back. It took a while.
 As I mentioned I pulled the carb and checked it out again. Looking good I closed it up and remounted it. Today we went out again and managed to harvest some conch. Thinking about how our dink has been performing lately I called it quits early and half way back it decided to cut out at high speed again. More gunk! And this is with a very large separating filter installed as well! We idled back and cleaned the conch for later.
 This dink deal is getting old.

No comments: