Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tsunami! Updated...

 Yesterday we were relaxing aboard Freedom in the afternoon since we had taken a good walk up the beach to "On Da Beach" for lunch. "On Da Beach" is a little bit North of the mid point between Sea Spray and Hope Town on Elbow Cay. It must have been a good day in everyone's mind since we met several additional folks we know that decided to walk down from Hope Town. All in all there were six of us from the marina and six staying in Hope Town on moorings or at other marinas. We all had a good lunch at this great place over looking the Atlantic on a blue sky day.
 During the walk back I picked up a rather green coconut since we had used up all we had. Deb has become very adept at working with coconut. She's crusting all sorts of things with coconut now, and believe me her menu is expanding nicely along with my waist. It's a challenge to remain at an acceptable weight when someone is cooking like this.
 Since the rest of the folks here at Sea Spray had not seen the approach I use to open up a coconut, I demonstrated the technique for everyone. Instead of using a machete I use a regular claw hammer. No, I don't pound the heck out of it with the hammer end. I use the claw to perforate the husk in a line from end to end. The pointy end of the coconut can be penetrated the furthest but one has to be careful not to sink the claw into the fat end too far or you will open the nut inside prematurely. After a couple of perforation lines have been made I use the claw to pull the husk away. Then I work around the husk with additional lines from the stem end down to the fat end removing a bit of the husk at a time.
 Once the nut is fully removed I scrape it off with a knife to prevent fuzz from getting into the milk and fruit I remove later. There are three eyes at the pointy end and depending on the ripeness they will be soft or hard. Drill a hole in an eye and drain the milk into a cup. If you don't have a 19.2 volt drill with a 1/2 bit a sharp pocket knife can be used to whittle your way through the shell of the nut.
 Next with the clean empty nut in hand I crack it open by delivering a sharp rap around the circumfrence until it falls into two pieces. There's a bit of a knack to this but after a couple of coconuts it gets easy.

 So where was I with this Tsunami deal.. Ah yes, during the relaxation after all of this, Deb comes down into the salon and says we're under a Tsunami watch! So I put CNN on while Deb hunted around on the net. In a few minutes we found that the watch was canceled before it got too far due to the type of quake that had occured. Shortly afterwards we were again alerted by people who were moving around the docks knocking on boats letting people know about the watch. Fortunately we were able to assure everyone that we had learned the watch was canceled.

 A while ago I posted an entry about fishing just outside the cays in about 200-500 feet of water. The drop off is quite steeep which led me to the very coarse depth estimate. I really should have taken more of these videos because there were times we were getting soaked, and times the waves stacked up on us. This video was taken while we were headed back to Hope Town going South off Man O War Cay.

  Trolling for Wahoo

 Enjoy the ride for what it is. I know we did! One wahoo, but that was enough for us.

No comments: