Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stream crossing made easy

 Buy a copy of the Dozier's "Waterway Guide". We have the 2008 version. It has a section "Crossing the Gulf Stream" which has a great chart outining starting points, destinations, speeds and courses.
 Even though the rhumb line course from Ft. Lauderdale to Lucaya is 80 degrees, as much as I could I set the autopilot to 90 degrees as indicated in the chart for 10 knots. When the autopilot was not a viable option due to rough water, I used the compass and swagged 90 as best I could. At the points early in the stream crossing where we miander the bow was certainly being pushed North into the North East Swells by the stream (I suspect). Sometimes it was better to "go with the flow".
 So by steering 90, we vectored over to Lucaya. It's the sum of vectors or preliminary physics. I might be able to handle that still just don't ask me to derive Einstein's Theory of relativity again. I'll certainly send you into a black hole.

 As far as choosing Lucaya over West End? They raised their rates and we were up for something different. That gave us the incentive.

 By the way if you come to Lucaya, Thomas the dockmaster has asked me to let everyone know that he will grant you a 10% dockage fee discount as he did for us. We are going to wash up Freedom and check out the reefs all over the shore here. We saw numerous glass bottom boats out there on our way into the Grand Bahama Yacht Club.
 The power is good at 225v, and the facility is well protected and quiet.  

No comments: